Blueberry Bourbon Tart
PASTRY CREAM INSTRUCTIONS (FROM LEMON BLOSSOMS)
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine milk, cream, and half of the sugar. Stir occasionally until the liquid comes to a simmer.
2. As the liquid simmers, whisk together the remaining sugar, salt, cornstarch, and egg yolks in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
3. While continually whisking, slowly pour in about 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture. Continue to whisk until smooth.
4. Transfer the tempered egg mixture back to the saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. A few bubbles may burst on the top surface and the mixture will have the texture of pudding.
5. Remove from the heat, then whisk in the butter, vanilla extract and cognac (if using) until smooth and glossy.
6. Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap placed directly onto the surface of the pastry cream so a skin does not form. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Once the filling is cool, spoon it into your tart crust with a spatula. Arrange your berries of choice (we used strawberries, blueberries and kiwi) on your tart. With a pastry brush, brush on BLUEBERRY BOURBON on your fresh fruit to give the tart a beautiful, berry glaze!
Add 3 tbsp Blueberry Bourbon as a glaze on the fresh berry topping. And then try not to consume the whole tart in one evening. Or do, we won’t judge.